Ifs and assignments

Gary Herron gary.herron at islandtraining.com
Thu Jan 2 19:57:26 EST 2014

On 01/02/2014 01:44 PM, John Allsup wrote:
> The point of my original post was that, whilst C's
>   if( x = 2 ) { do something }
> and
>   if( x == 2 ) { do something }
> are easy to confuse, and a source of bugs, having a construct like
> follows:
>
> if x == 2:
>     do something # what happens at present
> if testFunc() as x:
>     do something with x
>
> using the 'as' syntax that appears with 'with' and 'except', would allow
> for the advantages of C style assignments in conditionals but without
> the easy confusion, since here the syntax is significantly different
> between assignment and equality testing (rather than a character apart
> as happens with C).
>
> This occurs further down in my original post (past the point where you
> inserted your reply).
>
> Another post suggested a workaround by defining a 'pocket' class, for
> which I am grateful.
>
> John

Sorry.  I shot off my answer before reading the whole post.  That's
never a good idea.

After reading to the end, I rather like your suggestion.  It works well
in your example, , nicely avoids the C/C++ trap, and has some
consistency with other parts of Python.

Gary Herron

> On 02/01/2014 19:27, Gary Herron wrote:
>> On 01/02/2014 09:20 AM, John Allsup wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This is my debut on this list.
>>>
>>> In many languages, such as C, one can use assignments in conditionals
>>> and expressions.  The most common, and useful case turns up when you
>>> have if/else if/else if/else constructs. Consider the following
>>> non-working pseudoPython.
>>>
>>> import re
>>> r1 = re.compile("hello (\d)")