Ifs and assignments

Gary Herron gary.herron at islandtraining.com
Thu Jan 2 14:27:12 EST 2014

On 01/02/2014 09:20 AM, John Allsup wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my debut on this list.
>
> In many languages, such as C, one can use assignments in conditionals
> and expressions.  The most common, and useful case turns up when you
> have if/else if/else if/else constructs. Consider the following
> non-working pseudoPython.
>
> import re
> r1 = re.compile("hello (\d)")
> r2 = re.compile("world([!?])")
>
> w = "hello world!"
>
> if m = r1.search(w):

This kind of thing in C/C+ has always been the source of much confusion
and potential errors, because the construct is so similar to an "=="
test.  Python does not replicate this potential for confusion.
Instead, we use two lines of code, an assignment and then the test.   If
you find that extra line of code inconvenient than at least you can take
comfort in the fact that it is clearer code.  If you are still not
convinced, ... then sorry, that's just the way Python is.

Gary Herron