Suggest an open-source log analyser?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Jan 2 00:48:02 EST 2014

In article <mailman.4787.1388641227.18130.python-list at python.org>,
 Alec Taylor <alec.taylor6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use the Python logger class; with the example syntax of:
>     Formatter('%(asctime)s - %(name)s - %(levelname)s - %(message)s')
>
> Can of course easily use e.g.: a JSON syntax here instead.
>
> Are there any open-source log viewers (e.g.: with a web-interface)
> that you'd recommend; for drilling down into my logs?
>
> Thanks for your suggestions,
>
> Alec Taylor

I've been experimenting with elasticsearch (to store JSON-format log
messages) and kibana (as a front-end search tool).  The jury is still
out on how well it's going to work.  It seems like a pretty powerful
combination, but there's definitely a bit of a learning curve to using
it.

I certainly like the idea of logging structured data, as opposed to
plain text.  It opens up a world of better ways to search, slice, and
dice your log data.