Python 2.x and 3.x usage survey

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 1 07:44:42 EST 2014

On 01/01/2014 12:38, Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Jan 2014 22:37:45 +1100, Steven D'Aprano
>
>> Steve Hayes wrote:
>>
>>> I borrowed a book called "Learning Python" by Lutz and Asher, which is
>>> geared for 2.2/2.3.
>>>
>>> But the version I have in Windows is 3.2, and it seems that even "Hello
>>> World" presents and insurmountable problem.
>>
>> It certainly is not *insurmountable*. Not unless you consider typing
>> brackets ( ) to be an inhumanly difficult task, in which case you might as
>> well give up on being a programmer and take up something easier like brain
>> surgery.
>>
>> # Python 2 version
>> print "Hello World!"
>>
>> # Python 3 version
>> print("Hello World!")
>
> I was thinking or of this:

>    File "<stdin>", line 1
>      python g:\work\module1.py
>             ^
>
> Which gave a different error the previous time I did it.
>
> But, hey, it worked from the DOS prompt
>
> C:\Python32>python g:\work\module1.py
> Hello Module World
>
> But hey, don't mind me.
>
> The biggest problem I have is that when something doesn't work, I don't know
> if I have done something stupid, or if it's just an incompatibility of the
> different versions.

Almost inevitably if you search for the last line of the error that you
get you'll find more than enough hits to point you in the right
direction.  Failing that ask here as we don't bite.  There's also the
tutor mailing list https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tutor

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence