Tuples and immutability

Eric Jacoboni eric.jacoboni at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 20:27:17 EST 2014

Le 01/03/2014 01:22, Mark H. Harris a écrit :

> I'll address the second first by asking a question...  should an immutable type (object) be able to hold (contain) mutable objects ... should tuples be allowed to hold lists?
>
> lists within a tuple should be converted to tuples.    If you want a tuple to hold a list,  make it a list in the first place.

You're perfectly right and that why i've corrected my code to use a list
of lists instead of tuple of list. I was hoping Python would prevent me
for such a mistake (because such a situation can't be cleary
intentional, isn't ?). Now, i will use tuple only with immutable items.

IMHO it should be an error to use  +=  with an immutable type and that
means not at all.

In other words,  the list should not even be considered, because we're
talking about changing a tuple...

which should not be changed (nor should its members be changed).

I agree with that too... My error was to first consider the list, then
the tuple... I should have considered the tuple first...
Anyway, the TypeError should rollback, not commit the mistake.