Can global variable be passed into Python function?

Mark H. Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 13:04:12 EST 2014

On Friday, February 28, 2014 9:50:09 AM UTC-6, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> > PS On the topic of enums, when are we getting support for a switch
> > statement?

> http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3103/
> http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0275/

I have reviewed these peps, and I heard Guido's 2007 keynote, as well I have heard him speak on YouTube several times about the inadvisability of a pythonized  switch statement (similar to C).

I think the real issue is about the syntax... because of python's unique indent strategy going back to ABC, a pythonized switch statement would play havoc with the many text parsers out there used for development (TestWrangler, and many others).

Personally I would still like to see a pythonized switch statement at some point.  I prefer the syntactical form of PEP 275,   but unlike the notion of dropping optimization and converting to if elif else under the proverbial covers,  I would prefer to see a conversion to the dict dispatch table under the covers.

At any rate...  and I don't think even Guido can really argue against this,...   a switch statement is just more readable to human beings that a dict dispatch table, or a long if elif chain... and one of the main points of python (going all the way back to ABC) was to make very highly readable code.

marcus