extend methods of decimal module

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 18:50:55 EST 2014

On 27 February 2014 23:00, Mark H. Harris <harrismh777 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Decimal('0.1000000000000000055511151231257827021181583404541015625')
>
> hi Oscar,  well,  that's not what I'm doing with my  D()...  I'm not just making D() mimic Decimal... look inside it...  there's a  str()  call....   consider the following experiment and you'll see what I'm talking about...

I understood what your code is doing but I'm not sure if you do.
Calling str on a float performs an inexact binary to decimal
conversion. Calling Decimal on a float performs an exact binary to
decimal conversion. Your reasoning essentially assumes that every
float should be interpreted as an approximate representation for a
nearby decimal value. This is probably true if the user wrote "a =
0.1" but is generally not true in the kind of numeric code that is
likely to be using the transcendental functions defined in your dmath
module.

Calling Decimal(str(float)) introduces entirely avoidable inaccuracy
in your code when the primary purpose of your code as accuracy!

Oscar