python

prashanth B.G prash.bg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 23:30:34 EST 2014

Hi Karthik,

             Good that you have interest in switching to dev from admin
stuff. Since you are already an admin , you wouldn't have problems with
administrating an os (probabally weblogic deployment was on an ux/linux
machine) or a database. The requirements that you see are a mix of
different technologies for building a web application. But then Python and
Javascript are the two major ones which you will have to focus on .

Javascript is needed along with html and css for the front end alone . Most
of the times the front end is only a consumer of the information from the
backend except for the user interaction events where in information flows
in the opposite way. The backend has the bussiness logic implemented and
could be in any language here it is Python and of course this interacts
with the database. So you could ignore the rest of the technologies for a
while and learn Python till you become comfortable with - Maybe writing
small sysadmin scripts or anything which may be of personal interest to you
.

There are several tutorials which others have pointed out .. May be you can
take a look at http://swaroopch.com/notes/python/  (easy) or
http://www.diveintopython.net/  (slightly deeper) . Once you get a hold,
you could move on to Django which runs on top of Python to get a feel of
webframeworks . This would be the time when you would need to lean
javascript to make user interaction possible (JS is also a complete
language in itself and would need some weeks to start with).

The rest like mysql , html , css are something which you could learn when
the need arises since you don't have to go too deep into these and that the
basics are not too difficult to understand . Once you start working on web
dev stuff you will have to know the design patterns further of with mvc is
a part . This would definitely take some time and effort but it would
be worth learning .

Hope this helps :-)

Thanks.

             *****HAVE A NICE DAY *****