exec and locals

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Wed Feb 26 23:20:10 EST 2014

 Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> Wrote in message:
> On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 14:46:39 +0100, Peter Otten wrote:
>
>> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>>
>>> I have to dynamically generate some code inside a function using exec,
>>> but I'm not sure if it is working by accident or if I can rely on it.
>>>
>> I eventually settled on some
> code that works something like this:
>

> def factory():
>     blah blah blah
>     try:
>         exec("""def inner():

Before I would use exec,  I'd look hard at either generating a
 source file to import,  or using a preprocessor.  And if this
 code was to be installed,  make the version choice or the
 preprocess step happen at install time.

I once implemented a system that generated 20k lines of C++ header
 and sources. And the generated code was properly indented and
 fairly well commented.

--
DaveA