exec and locals

Alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 26 09:00:59 EST 2014

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 13:15:25 +0000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> I have to dynamically generate some code inside a function using exec,
> but I'm not sure if it is working by accident or if I can rely on it.
>
> Here is a trivial example:
>

> py> def spam():
> ...     exec( """x = 23""" )
> ...     return x ...
> py> spam()
> 23
>

> (My real example is more complex than this.)
>
> According to the documentation of exec, I don't think this should
> actually work, and yet it appears to. The documentation says:
>
>     The default locals act as described for function locals() below:
>     modifications to the default locals dictionary should not be
>     attempted. Pass an explicit locals dictionary if you need to see
>     effects of the code on locals after function exec() returns.
>
> http://docs.python.org/3.4/library/functions.html#exec
>

> I *think* this means that if I want to guarantee that a local variable x
> is created by exec, I need to do this instead:
>
> py> def eggs():
> ...     mylocals = {}
> ...     exec( """x = 23""", globals(), mylocals)
> ...     x = mylocals['x']
> ...     return x ...
> py> eggs()
> 23
>
> The fact that it works in spam() above is perhaps an accident of
> implementation? Yes no maybe?

I have no idea but as exec is generally considered to be a bad idea are
you absolutely sure this is the correct way to achieve your end goal?

perhaps if you detailed your requirement someone may be able to suggest a
safer solution.

--
"Regardless of the legal speed limit, your Buick must be operated at
speeds faster than 85 MPH (140kph)."