Coding a simple state machine in python

Ronaldo abhishek1899 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 20:30:26 EST 2014

How do I write a state machine in python? I have identified the states and the conditions. Is it possible to do simple a if-then-else sort of an algorithm? Below is some pseudo code:

if state == "ABC":
   do_something()
   change state to DEF

if state == "DEF"
   perform_the_next_function()

I have a class to which certain values are passed from a GUI and the functions above have to make use of those variables. How do I go about doing this? I have the following algorithm:

class TestClass():
    def __init__(self, var1, var2): #var1 and var2 are received from a GUI
       self.var1 = var1
    if state == "ABC"
       doSomething(var1, var2)
..

Could someone point me in the right direction? Thank you!