Mac vs. Linux for Python Development

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Mon Feb 24 10:33:35 EST 2014

On Feb 23, 2014, at 3:43 AM, twiz <twizansk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm sure this is a common question but I can't seem to find a previous thread that addresses it.   If one one exists, please point me to it.
>
> I've been developing with python recreationally for a while on Ubuntu but will soon be transitioning to full-time python development.  I have the option of using a Mac or Ubuntu environment and I'd like to hear any thoughts on the pros and cons of each. Specifically, how's the support for numpy and scipy?  How are the IDEs?
>
> Since I generally like working with a Mac, I'd like to hear if there are any significant downsides to python dev on OsX.
>
> Thanks
>
> --

In addition to the other excellent answers you've received, I'd point you to

	http://stackoverflow.com/questions/81584/what-ide-to-use-for-python

where there is a fairly extensive comparison chart of IDEs, features, and supported OSes.

And, by the way, I'm a very happy camper using BBEdit and WingIDE (the name collision is purely coincidental).

Thanks,
Bill