Can global variable be passed into Python function?

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sun Feb 23 16:10:36 EST 2014

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu>:

> Special-casing ints to store the value in the reference has been
> proposed and rejected. I do not remember how far anyone went in trying
> to code the idea, but I doubt that anyone got as far as getting the
> test suite to pass.

FWIW, elisp essentially does that. Anyway, we are discussing this to
make it clear that the language definition is abstract. All compliant
implementations are equally correct. It doesn't make any difference
whatsoever for a Python programmer how this or that object type has been
implemented under the hood.

> Hogwash. Int variables are not all variables. And as I explained
> above, even if one stored Python ints much like C ints, one would have
> to add code to hide the fact that one had done so.

   The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.

Marko