Mac vs. Linux for Python Development

Günther Dietrich gd.usenet at spamfence.net
Sun Feb 23 06:34:26 EST 2014

twiz <twizansk at gmail.com> wrote:

>I've been developing with python recreationally for a while on Ubuntu but will
>soon be transitioning to full-time python development.  I have the option of
>using a Mac or Ubuntu environment and I'd like to hear any thoughts on the
>pros and cons of each.

I've been working with Windows, Unix/Linux (X) and Max OS since 1989. In
my experience the GUI of Mac OS is the most user friendly of the the
three.

>Specifically, how's the support for numpy and scipy?
>How are the IDEs?
>
>Since I generally like working with a Mac, I'd like to hear if there are any
>significant downsides to python dev on OsX.

Eclipse and the PyDev and MercurialEclipse plug-ins are available for
Windows, Linux and Mac OS.
So, if I had the choice, I would go with the Mac.

Best regards,

Günther