Can global variable be passed into Python function?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Feb 22 01:29:58 EST 2014

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 22:45:14 -0500, Ned Batchelder wrote:

> I think it might be that the OP's question, "Can a global variable be
> passed into a function", really had nothing to do with the
> name/value/variable distinction, and we've done it again: taken a simple
> question and spun off into pedantry and trivia.

You might be right, but the OP's question isn't really clear. Surely he
didn't mean something as trivial as this?

x = 1  # This is a global
some_function(x)  # Passing a global into a function

His description, especially the comment about pass by reference, suggests
that there is more to it than just passing a global variable as argument
to a function. I think he is trying to *write* to the variable as well,
as an output variable, something like this:

x = 1
y = 2
some_function(x)
assert x == 99
some_function(y)
assert y == 99

Sadly, it appears to have been a drive-by question: Sam tossed a question
out the window as he drove by, and may never come back for the answer...
I hope I'm wrong, but it's been nearly 24 hours since the question was
asked and not a peep from the OP.

Sam, if you're out there reading this, please respond with more detail
about what you are trying to do!

--
Steven