Function and turtle help

Scott W Dunning swdunning at cox.net
Fri Feb 21 22:38:02 EST 2014

On Feb 21, 2014, at 7:13 PM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:

> Scott W Dunning <swdunning at cox.net> Wrote in message:
>>
>> On Feb 20, 2014, at 11:30 PM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
>>
>>> Look at turtle.begin_fill and turtle.end_fill
>>>
>>> That's after making sure your star is a closed shape.
>>

>> So, this is what I have so far and it “works” but, it fills in the star with black and as you can see below I am trying to fill it in with red.  So I’m obviously messing up somewhere.
>>
>> def fillcolor(red):
>>    pencolor()
>>    begin_fill()
>>    star(500)
>>    end_fill()
>>
>> red = pencolor
>> fillcolor(red)
>>

> You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how variables
> and function parameters work.

Yes I just learned a little bit about functions a couple days ago in school.  I am completely new to programming so thanks for any help!

>> def fillcolor(red):
>   The parameter should be something like color, not red.

Ok I see.

I changed it a little based on what you suggested and I got a change, the outline became red but the fill is still black.  Can you walk me through where I’m going wrong on what I have below?

From what I gather, I have a function called fillcolor with a parameter called color.  I know this is going to sound stupid but I get a little lost after that.  The function says when ever I call fillcolor do what’s in the body?  What exactly does the parameter do (in this case color, how is that doing anything) and what is an argument?

def fillcolor(color):    <- Function with parameter, right?
    pencolor(color)     <- Says make pencolor whatever I state when I call fill color, right?
    begin_fill()	      <- starts filling the star.  When I put color in () though I get an error that it takes no arguments?
    star(500)	      <- Star function
    end_fill()	      <- Ends fill

red = "red"
fillcolor(red)

I know that I know absolutely nothing but I’m trying and I just started so please bare with me.  And thanks for any help, it's GREATLY appreciated!!

Scott