is there a package similar to SHINY in R for python ...

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 22:10:39 EST 2014

On 02/21/2014 07:57 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:28:55 -0800 (PST), anujg1984 at gmail.com declaimed the
> following:
>
>> I want to have textboxes, sliders, and buttons in the web browser that change the data visualization just like shiny does in R.
>>
>> Is there something like that in python.
>
> 	Python doesn't really matter here... You've described HTML objects, and
> for dynamic ones, you are likely talking either M$ "ASP", or Javascript
> (unless you have a browser that can run embedded Python scripts).
>
> 	At least, I'm guessing you don't intend to have every movement of a
> "slider" trigger a page refresh from a server -- you want the action to
> operate /in/ the browser. "In the browser" means the server language
> doesn't matter -- it's solely the Javascript that gets sent to the browser.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about tools that make it really slick to
put up graphs in a window and manipulate them with GUI controls.
Nothing to do with html or web programming here, at least not what the
OP was asking for.

Such things can be done in Python using a GUI library, but that's quite
a bit more work than using the SHINY library appears to be in R.  The OP
might be advised to check out the SciPy forums and mailing lists.  Or
talk to the folks at the Sage project.