Commonly-used names in the Python standard library

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Feb 21 01:49:51 EST 2014

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 14:46:35 +0200, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> I would imagine there would be dozens of "branches" in the interpreter
> if the latest interpreter were to support all past Python dialects (as
> it should, IMO).

Well thank goodness you're not in charge of Python's future development.
That way leads to madness: madness for the core developers (if you think
maintaining Python 2 and 3 branches is hard imagine maintaining *dozens*
of them, *forever*), madness of the programmers using the language, and
madness for anyone trying to learn the language. It's hard enough for
newbies to deal with *two* dialects, 2 and 3. And you want to introduce
dozens. Thanks, but no thanks.

--
Steven