Just For Inquiry

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Thu Feb 20 21:25:56 EST 2014

On Feb 20, 2014, at 5:48 PM, John Gordon <gordon at panix.com> wrote:

> In <mailman.7196.1392914525.18130.python-list at python.org> shivang patel <patelshivang82 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> So, I kindly request to you please, give me a very brief info regarding
>> *Role of Project Manager*.
>
> In my organization, a project manager does these things (and a lot more):
> Ensure that a requirements document exists, and is approved by both the
>  customer and the developer.
> Work with developers to create a list of all work steps necessary to
>  complete the project.
> Create a project schedule from developer estimates for each item on the
>  work list, and update the schedule as needed if additional steps are added
>  or a step takes longer than anticipated.
> Communicate with customers to keep them informed of the project's progress.
> Schedule meetings with the customer as needed.
> Ensure that a test plan exists and is carried out.
> Coordinate project delivery and installation.
> Coordinate bug reports and bugfixes.
>
> --
> John Gordon         Imagine what it must be like for a real medical doctor to
> gordon at panix.com    watch 'House', or a real serial killer to watch 'Dexter'.

An excellent list, I would add that frequently the project manager has significant budget responsibilities as well.

In an informal sense, the project manager is the point person for keeping a project on track, on budget, and completed in a timely fashion.

Software engineers, working FOR a project manager, frequently feel that the project manager is providing no added value.  This is NOT true.

-Bill