Error getting REMOTE_USER Environment Variable

Hobie Audet Hobie.Audet at comcast.net
Thu Feb 20 09:53:36 EST 2014

I'm running the Abyss Web Server X1 (v 2.9.0.1) on a Windows XP Home
(SP3) system and am using Python 3.3 for a scripting language.  I'm
having a problem getting the environment variable
"REMOTE_USER".  Here's the situation:

1.  I have created a user under Abyss.  The userid is "userxyz"..
2.  I have created a directory under htdocs called "Test" and using
the Abyss console I have password protected it.
3.  In the "Test" directory, there is no "index.html" file but there
is an "index.py" file, so that should get executed when I access the
"Test" directory.
4.  If I start up my web browser and point it to "localhost/Test", I
get challenged for user authentication, as I should.
5.  I enter the userid ("userxyz") and its password and click the
"Log in" button.  Authentication succeeds.  So far, so good.
6.  The "index.py" script is launched.  It's only function (so far)
is to fetch the "REMOTE_USER" environment variable and echo it back to me.
7.  What it echoes back is "userxyzuserxyz".  In other words, the
REMOTE_USER value is repeated.

In case you're interested, here is the entire "index.py" script:

import os
userid =os.environ["REMOTE_USER"]
print("Content-type: text/html")
print()
print("<HTML><BODY>" + userid + "</BODY></HTML")

That's about as simple as anything could be.  The fact that the
script is displaying anything at all indicates to me that my Python
cgi support is installed correctly and that the script is being
executed correctly.  By why the "REMOTE_USER" value is doubled is
beyond my understanding.  Is this a bug in the os package that comes
with Python 3.3?   Anybody got a fix for it?

By the way, if I try to fetch "AUTH_USER", I get the same problem.

Thanks in advance.

Hobie Audet