extend methods of decimal module

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 17:27:49 EST 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 2/19/2014 4:54 PM, Zachary Ware wrote:
>> You might consider suggesting a "decimal.math" module on python-ideas.
>

> Or just dmath.

The name (and location) is of course endlessly bikesheddable :)

> I think this is a better idea than suggesting additions to
> decimal itself. For one thing, anything put in decimal would be subject to
> change if the function were to be added to the standard. It is worth noting
> in such a posting that Krah's speedup make such functions really feasible.
> The algorithms could be similar, at least initially, to the one used for
> floats.

It might be good to even go a step further, and make it "amath" (or
"numbers.math", or ...), a type-agnostic math module.  Such a module
would likely be slower than math, cmath, or "dmath", but should end
the proliferation of math modules.

--
Zach