Does CPython already has Peephole optimizations?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Feb 17 03:59:46 EST 2014

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 13:54:25 +0530, Laxmikant Chitare wrote:

> I read about this article:
> http://www.python.org/workshops/1998-11/proceedings/papers/montanaro/
montanaro.html

> Just wanted to clarify whether CPython already includes these kind of
> byte code optimizations? Are all the temporary variables removed when
> byte code is generated?

You can check these things for yourself:

import dis
dis.dis(function)

will show you the byte code.

But in general, I would expect not. CPython (that's the Python you
probably use) doesn't do a lot of optimization apart from some simple
constant folding. If you're interested in optimizing Python, you should
look at the JIT optimizing Python compiler, PyPy.

--
Steven