select(sock) indicates not-ready, but sock.recv does not block

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Mon Feb 17 01:35:22 EST 2014

Hello,

I have a problem with using select. I can reliably reproduce a situation
where select.select((sock.fileno(),), (), (), 0) returns ((),(),())
(i.e., no data ready for reading), but an immediately following
sock.recv() returns data without blocking.

I am pretty sure that this is not a race condition. The behavor is 100%
reproducible, the program is single threaded, and even waiting for 10
seconds before the select() call does not change the result.

I'm running Python 3.3.3 under Linux 3.12.

Has anyone an idea what might be going wrong here?

Thanks,
-Nikolaus

--
Encrypted emails preferred.