Explanation of list reference

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Feb 16 18:05:46 EST 2014

Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> writes:

> Chris Angelico wrote:
> > Because everything in Python is an object, and objects always are
> > handled by their references.
>
> <beginner_thought> So, we have objects... and we have
> references to objects... but everything is an object...
> so does that mean references are objects too?
> </beginner_thought>

My response: No, because references are not things :-)

I've never known a programming beginner to express such a question. Have
you?

Were they beginners at programming, or experienced programmers who were
coming to Python with the data models of other languages already in
their head?

--
 \          “Computer perspective on Moore's Law: Human effort becomes |
  `\           twice as expensive roughly every two years.” —anonymous |