How to turn a package into something pip can install

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 08:23:24 EST 2014

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 11:18 PM, Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick
<kwpolska at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 11:35 PM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
>> Maybe this is something which has changed in newer versions of pip?
>> I've got 1.1 (and python 2.7.3).  I'm pretty sure both of these are what
>> came with Ubuntu Precise.
>
> It’s heavily outdated, and that IS the cause of your problem.  pip 1.5
> accepts such paths just fine.  Please upgrade your pip.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/python-pip
says it's shipping 1.0.1, even older. You get 1.1 with Quantal:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/python-pip
and (unsurprisingly) newer versions with newer Ubuntus.

Debian's just as bad, incidentally. On Wheezy (current stable), Debian
ships 1.1, though Jessie (current testing) has 1.4.1. But neither
Ubuntu Trusty nor Debian Sid (unreleased versions of each) ships 1.5.

ChrisA