How to turn a package into something pip can install

Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 09:09:03 EST 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 3:26 AM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> In article <mailman.6949.1392429645.18130.python-list at python.org>,
>  Ryan Gonzalez <rymg19 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> python setup.py sdist
>
> OK, I run that and I get a metar-1.4.0.tar.gz under dist.  If I move
> that tarfile to my packages directory, and run pip, I get:
>
> $ pip install --no-index --quiet --find-links packages metar==1.4.0
[snip]
> ValueError: unknown url type: packages

The path to your cache directory is incorrect.  I suggest using
absolute paths (eg. /home/user/packages) instead of relative paths,
which is likely what caused this issue.

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> What I can't figure out is what I need to do to go from a clone of the
> github repo to a tarball I can drop into our packages directory.  Is
> there some tutorial somewhere that explains this?

Actually, you could even tar up that entire repo (or even get a nice
ready tarball from GItHub) and you will get something usable with pip.
 For example, we in the Nikola project
(https://github.com/getnikola/nikola) upload the GitHub tarballs to
PyPI because we ship 99.9% of our tree anyways and hiring `setup.py
sdist` would be a waste of time (and would produce two
almost-identical-but-not-quite tarballs).

--
Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick <http://kwpolska.tk>
PGP: 5EAAEA16