Working with the set of real numbers

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 15:08:16 EST 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 6:47 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> My assumption was you could execute ℵ₁ statements per second. That
> doesn't guarantee a finite finish time but would make it possible. That
> is because
>
>    ℵ₁ * ℵ₁ = ℵ₁ = ℵ₁ * 1

Hmm. I never actually covered this stuff in grade school - the
construction of infinite computing power didn't exactly come up. But
as I understand it, just calculating the "next number" requires ℵ₁ RAM
operations, and you have to do that ℵ₁ times per second. So what
you're saying is that it's possible to do that? You can execute ℵ₁
operations where each operation has to wait for ℵ₁ bus actions before
continuing?

This would do my head in if I hadn't already thoroughly broken my
brain on other insanities.

ChrisA