singleton ... again

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Thu Feb 13 13:31:12 EST 2014

On 02/13/2014 09:57 AM, Roy Smith wrote:
> In article <mailman.6850.1392313443.18130.python-list at python.org>,
>   Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>
>> Say you have a class that represents serial ports or your computer.  You
>> should get the same object every time you ask
>> for SerialPort(2).
>
> Why?  Certainly, you should get objects which refer to the same physical
> port.  So:
>
> port_a = SerialPort(2)
> port_b = SerialPort(2)
>
> port_a.enable()
> assert port_b.is_shutdown() == False
>
> port_a.shutdown()
> assert port_b.is_shutdown() == True
>
> But, why do they have to be the same object?  Why should I care if
>
> port_a is port_b
>
> is False, as long as all operations I perform on either are reflected in
> correct state changes on the other one?

You mean use the Borg pattern instead of the Singleton pattern?  As far as I can tell they are two shades of the same
thing.  Are there any drastic differences between the two?  Besides one having many instances that share one __dict__
and the other just having one instance and one __dict__?

--
~Ethan~