Wait... WHAT?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 16:39:40 EST 2014

On 02/12/2014 01:21 PM, eneskristo at gmail.com wrote:
> I think of it as a bit strange. Should I report it as a bug? I was
trying to incorporate a save/load, and this happened.

What happened?  I'm not seeing any exception information.  I do see code
that doesn't quite make sense.

>     def save():
>         target = open ("save.swroc", 'w')
>         target.write([counter, loop, number_of_competitors, competitors])

Do you know what actually gets written? IE do you know what the
resulting text file looks like?

>     def load():
>         target = open("save.swroc", 'r')
>         the_array = target
>         counter = the_array[0]
>         loop = the_array[1]
>         number_of_competitors = the_array[2]
>         competitors = the_array[3]

This function isn't right.  Question for you, what does open() return?
And if you assign that to "the_array," what makes you think you can
dereference open() as it it were an array?  open() does not provide a
__getitem__() dunder method.

Python is pretty good at doing what you want usually, but you're missing
a step.  Python's not bug-free, but the first suspect in a case like
this is your code.

There's an outside chance you want to explore the "pickle" module.