Top down Python

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 12:57:57 EST 2014

On 02/12/2014 09:40 AM, John Allsup wrote:
> I've realised that the best way to do this is to use a web browser for
> the graphical front end: high end graphics are simply not a necessity
> here, so one does not need to leave the confines of the browser.  Thus
> we need a simple server script.

Maybe.  Or how about a Python interpreter written in Javascript that
runs in the browser?  For example, http://www.skulpt.org/.  Halfway down
the main page is an interpreter running a REPL, that you can manipulate
as an example.

There are others I've seen over the years.  One web site offered
interactive versions of several languages in a web page.

It's unclear of what you are really trying to do, though.  Doing as you
propose to have a python server communicating with a web front-end is
going to be a lot harder than you think.  You're going to have to deal
with multiple languages and data processing types and paradigms.  You're
going to have Python, Javascript, HTML, CSS, JSON, at the very least.
Plus you'll have to work with javascript libraries, at the very least
jQuery, and on the server side you need a system for interacting with
Python.  Some kind of CGI system. Or roll your own with TCP/IP Sockets.
 If you're already familiar with all of these things, then yes it's
simple; just a matter of plugging them together.  But I fear it's
several orders of magnitude more complicated than you think it's going
to be.  Could be a fun, though relatively pointless, exercise.