Working with the set of real numbers

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Feb 12 05:07:04 EST 2014

> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 7:56 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > So, if I understand you right, you want to say that you've not found
> > a computer that works with the *complete* set of real numbers. Yes?
>
> Correct. […] My point is that computers *do not* work with real
> numbers, but only ever with some subset thereof […]

You've done it again: by saying that “computers *do not* work with real
numbers”, that if I find a real number – e.g. the number 4 – your
position is that, since it's a real number, computers don't work with
that number.

That's why I think you need to be clear that your point isn't “computers
don't work with real numbers”, but rather “computers work only with a
limited subset of real numbers”.

--
 \        “We have to go forth and crush every world view that doesn't |
  `\                believe in tolerance and free speech.” —David Brin |