Working with the set of real numbers (was: Finding size of Variable)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Feb 12 03:17:06 EST 2014

> I have yet to find any computer that works with the set of real
> numbers in any way. Never mind optimization, they simply cannot work
> with real numbers.

Not *any* computer? Not in *any* way? The Python built-in ‘float’ type
“works with the set of real numbers”, in a way.

The <URL:http://docs.python.org/2/library/numbers.html#numbers.Real> ABC
defines behaviours for types implementing the set of real numbers.

What specific behaviour would, for you, qualify as “works with the set
of real numbers in any way”?

--
 \          “The fact that I have no remedy for all the sorrows of the |
  `\     world is no reason for my accepting yours. It simply supports |