Top down Python

John Allsup pydev at allsup.co
Wed Feb 12 02:05:11 EST 2014

What is needed for proper learning is near-absolute simplicity.
Even one toy too many to play with is an intolerable distraction,
but one too few massively hampers learning and induces boredom.

I want to be able to say:
     1. Put a nice picture on the background.
     2. Put a terminal window with, say, 64x20 lines, dead centre.
     3. Run a simple REPL program written in Python or Ruby within it.
I do not really want to write any more lines of code than I need to.
Why do we not have langauges and libraries that can do the above
with only five lines of code (line 0 == setup, line 4 == cleanup).

Programming should be that efficient if we learn to make things
beautiful and not tolerate wastes of lines and characters, on
a global scale as well as locally to our projects.

Consider
====
#!/usr/bin/env python3

from myappfw import app
from myapp1 import repl
app.background = "Moutains1"
t = app.terminal.open(title="Typing commands One Oh One",position="centre",
     width="80%",height="72%",rows="20",columns="64")
exit(t.run(repl))
====

What Python would I need to write, as concise but readable as
practically possible, so that the above program works as desired (for
any repl that obeys the basic input-process-output behaviour of a repl)?

This is top-down design done right IMO (as described in Thinking Forth,
by the way).