Get a datetime with nanoseconds

Asaf Las roegltd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 06:57:17 EST 2014

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:42:16 AM UTC+2, Igor Korot wrote:
> Hi, ALL,
>
> I am woking on an application for digital forensic.
>
> In this application I am getting this 2 pieces of information:
>

> atime - long representing the time stamp
>
> atime_nano - long representing the nanoseconds.
>

> What I'd like to do is to have a python datetime object which will be a representation of those 2 values.
>
> I can get a datetime object out of atime timestamp, but I don't know
> how to do it for atime_nano.
>
> I did a little research. It looks like people on SO are saying
> that I will not be able to get this kind of precision, but I'd
> be grateful if I can at least get the best possible precision
> (millioseconds?) it would be great.
>
> Thank you for any pointers.

i think you mix 2 issues here:

- get date time for specific point in time from system with nanosecond
  precision. If i am wrong then to what "SO are saying that I will
  not be able to get this kind of precision" is related?

- and how to have datetime to support nanosecond. That should be
  straightforward and isn't hard. You should implement class having
  datetime class instance stored and another member for nanosecond
  portion. Yet implement datetime operators and members to mimic all
  of that in original class.

/Asaf