Get a datetime with nanoseconds

Vlastimil Brom vlastimil.brom at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 06:11:06 EST 2014

> Hi, ALL,
> I am woking on an application for digital forensic.
> In this application I am getting this 2 pieces of information:
>
> atime - long representing the time stamp
> atime_nano - long representing the nanoseconds.
>
> What I'd like to do is to have a python datetime object which will be a
> representation of those 2 values.
> I can get a datetime object out of atime timestamp, but I don't know how to
> do it for atime_nano.
>
> I did a little research. It looks like people on SO are saying that I will
> not be able to get this kind of precision, but I'd be grateful if I can at
> least get the best possible precision (millioseconds?) it would be great.
>
> Thank you for any pointers.
>
> --

Hi,
it seems, datetime has support for microseconds
datetime.datetime(year, month, day, hour=0, minute=0, second=0,
microsecond=0, tzinfo=None)
http://docs.python.org/3.3/library/datetime.html#datetime.datetime

I haven't done anything using this precision, but I guess,
microseconds could be used out of the box; for some higher precision,
you'd probably need to code your own datatype.

hth,
   vbr