Python 2.7.6 help with modules

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 23:30:55 EST 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Scott W Dunning <swdunning at cox.net> wrote:
> How to do it from the small end up:
>
> time = int(raw_input("Enter number of seconds: "))
> seconds = time % 60
>
> So here it takes say 1000000 and divides it by 60 to put in seconds and
> spits out the remainder?  1000000 / 60 is approximately 16666 with a
> remainder of about 40, which would be the correct amount for seconds.  From
> there I get a little lost.
>
> time /= 60
>
> Then we take the remainder (40) from above and divide that by 60?  Already
> it’s confusing me.

The first part just spits out the remainder, without changing the
base. It'll set seconds to 40 (exactly, not about), but time is still
1000000. Then in the next line, we divide time by 60, which sets it to
that quotient (16666). This is why it's probably clearer to use
divmod, which does both halves (quotient and remainder) at once.

ChrisA