urllib2: correct way how to add a header to the *initial* request?

Matěj Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Sat Feb 8 12:29:19 EST 2014

Hi,

this is probably a dumb question but I just cannot find a way
how to create AuthHandler which would add Authorization header
to the FIRST request. The only thing I see in urllib2.py are
various http_error handler which add Authorization header to the
ADDITIONAL request which handles the error.

However, when looking at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2617.txt,
section 2, I see this:

       A client MAY preemptively send the corresponding
       Authorization header with requests for resources in that
       space without receipt of another challenge from the server.

And really many servers (e.g., api.github.com) expect the
Authorization header to be sent with the initial request, and
actually they broken
(http://developer.github.com/v3/auth/#basic-authentication) so
instead of 401 they send 404 status code.

Anybody has any idea how to subclass *AuthHandler so that it
would add the header on the initial request?

Best,

Matěj