Using virtualenv to bypass sudoer issues

Glenn Hutchings zondo42 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 05:23:32 EST 2014

On 06/02/14 17:32, Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:

 > Assuming I have a debian workstation for which I don't have any sudo
 > rights, in order to be able to install / remove python packages, should
 > I be using virtualenv ? Is it a suited solution ?

It depends on whether you need to share the installation with anyone
else.  If not, you could also install packages using:

     python setup.py install --user

This will install in your home directory, in the '.local' subdirectory.
  And to run any scripts that get installed, add ~/.local/bin to your PATH.

Glenn