What is the recommended python module for SQL database access?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 04:04:07 EST 2014

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 7:55 PM, Sam <lightaiyee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is MySQLdb the recommended python module for SQL database access? Are there other modules? What I want in a module is to be able to write readable and maintainable code.

As long as you use some module that speaks the Python Database API
(PEP 249, if a quick Google search has given me the right number), use
whatever talks to the database back-end you want - all your code will
be basically the same. Are you starting a completely new project and
creating its database? Go with SQLite or PostgreSQL (the former if
your needs are simple, the latter if you want a full-featured database
engine); both are open source and excellent. Are you connecting to an
existing database? Use that database engine, obviously :)

ChrisA