python and matlab

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 01:06:38 EST 2014

On Friday, February 7, 2014 10:58:26 AM UTC+5:30, Sturla Molden wrote:
> Sam Adams  wrote:

> > Thanks Sturla, could you please explain in more details, I am new to Python :)

> All the information you need to extend or embed Python is in the docs.

> Apart from that, why do you need Matlab? A distro like Enthought Canopy or
> Anaconda has all the tools you will ever need for scientific programming.
> Embedding Python is almost never the right solution to a problem. But if
> you really need Matlab, you will be far better off by calling Matlab engine
> from Python (e.g. using ctypes or Cython).

Dont know the software involved so only some general comments

When you connect two disparate pieces of significant software there is
inherently an impedance mismatch.

What Sturla is probably saying is that the matmab-python imp-mismatch is
so high that jumping across is almost certainly not worth the trouble.

And BTW have you seen sage?
http://www.sagemath.org/