Python 2.7.6 help with white spaces?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Feb 6 23:26:37 EST 2014

On Feb 6, 2014, at 11:12 PM, Scott W Dunning wrote:

> what exactly is the “%d:%02d”% saying?

Python uses string format specifiers similar to C's printf()

%d means, "convert an integer to a decimal string"

%2d means the same, plus, "make the result 2 columns wide"

and, finally, %02d means, "and, if it would normally be less than 2 columns, zero-pad it on the left".

So, putting that all together, we've got:

"%d" --> decimal integer
":" --> a literal ":"
"%02d" --> another decimal integer, this time zero-padded to two columns