Question about `list.insert`

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 22:14:43 EST 2014

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> In article <mailman.6471.1391741496.18130.python-list at python.org>,
>  Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
>
>> list does not promise better than O(1) behavior
>
> I'm not aware of any list implementations, in any language, that
> promises better than O(1) behavior for any operations.  Perhaps there is
> O(j), where you just imagine the operation was performed?

I have a printer that executes in O(1/N) time, where N is the number
of marbles the sysadmin (me!) has lost. The less sanity I have, the
more printouts it produces. And the less printouts it produces, the
more marbles I lose trying to figure out WHY? WHY? WHY?!?

Okay, I'm done ranting about Windows and 1990s accounting packages and
modern PostScript printers.

ChrisA