parse a csv file into a text file

Zhen Zhang zhen.zhang.uoft at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 03:07:29 EST 2014

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:46:04 PM UTC-5, Tim Chase wrote:
> On 2014-02-05 16:10, Zhen Zhang wrote:
>
> > import csv
>
> > file = open('raw.csv')
>

> Asaf recommended using string methods to split the file.  Keep doing
>
> what you're doing (using the csv module), as it attends to a lot of
>
> edge-cases that will trip you up otherwise.  I learned this the hard
>
> way several years into my Python career. :-)
>

> > reader = csv.reader(file)
>

> > f = open('NicelyDone.text','w')
>

> > for line in reader:
>
> >       f.write("%s %s"%line[1],%line[5])
>

> Here, I'd start by naming the pieces that you get, so do
>

>   for line in reader:
>
>     location = line[1]
>
>     value = line[5]
>

> > Also, I have to process the first column eg, "Toronto (Ont.)" into
>
> > "Toronto". I am familiar with the function find(), I assume that i
>
> > could extract Toronto out of Toronto(Ont.) using "(" as the
>
> > stopping character, but based on my research , I have no idea how
>
> > to use it and ask it to return me the string(Toronto).
>

> You can use the .split() method to split a string, so you could do
>
> something like
>

>   if '(' in location:
>
>     bits = location.split('(')
>
>     # at this point, bits = ['Toronto ', 'Ont.)']
>
>     location = bits[0].strip() # also strip it to remove whitespace
>

> > 1:What is the data format for line[1], if it is string how come
>
> > f.write()does not work. if it is not string, how do i convert it to
>
> > a string?
>

> The problem is not that "it is not a string" but that you passing
>
> multiple parameters, the second of which is invalid Python because it
>
> has an extra percent-sign.  First create the one string that you
>
> want to output:
>

>   output = "%s %s\n" % (location, bits)
>

> and then write it out to the file:
>

>   f.write(output)
>

> rather than trying to do it all in one pass.
>

> -tkc

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply,

Does the split make a list or tuple?

also,

when  i do location=line[1],
it gives me a error even though the program did run correctly and output the correct file.
 location=line[1]
 IndexError: list index out of range

when i do print line[1], there is no error.
it is really strange