[OT] Usage of U+00B6 PILCROW SIGN

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Feb 4 18:18:35 EST 2014

On 2/4/2014 10:21 AM, wxjmfauth at gmail.com wrote:

>> I was able to discover that link by opening the page, highlighting the
>> section header with my mouse, then clicking the pilcrow.  That gives
>> me the anchor link to that section header.
>
> Useless and really ugly.

Jim, when you say 'useless', please qualify as 'useless to me'.
Otherwise, people may think that you mean 'useless to eveyone', and it
is disrespectful to mislead people that way. I hope you are aware that
your personal ideas of usefulness to yourself are quite different from
other peoples' ideas of usefulness to themselves.

I now understand that you consider the FSR useless *to you* because you
do not care about the bugginess of narrow builds or about the spacious
of wide builds. You do care about uniformity of character size across
all strings, and FSR lacks that. You are entitled to make that judgment
for yourself. You are not entitled to sabotage others by projecting you
personal judgments onto others. The FSR and pilcrow are definitely
useful to other people as they judge personal usefulness for themselves.

PS. I agree that the pilcrow appearing and disappearing is not pretty
when I am not looking to use it. I happen to think that is it tolerable
because it is sometimes useful.

--
Terry Jan Reedy