Latest Python 3.4 in the source repo is broken?

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 11:02:38 EST 2014

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 9:45 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> Before I bother Python-Dev with this, can anyone else confirm that
> building Python 3.4 from source using the latest version in the source
> repository fails?
>
> # Get the source code
> hg clone http://hg.python.org/cpython
>
> # Build Python (on Unix, sorry Windows and Mac people, you're on your own)
> ./configure --with-pydebug && make -j2
>

> I get the following errors:
>
> libpython3.4dm.a(pythonrun.o): In function `_Py_InitializeEx_Private':
> /home/steve/python/cpython/Python/pythonrun.c:459: undefined reference to
> `_PyTraceMalloc_Init'
> libpython3.4dm.a(pythonrun.o): In function `Py_Finalize':
> /home/steve/python/cpython/Python/pythonrun.c:648: undefined reference to
> `_PyTraceMalloc_Fini'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [Modules/_testembed] Error 1

The buildbots[1] don't seem to agree, and it builds fine for me on
Windows.  In order of destructiveness, try these:

   make
      Without -j2, see if there's a race somewhere.
   make distclean
      Clear out nearly all generated files.
   hg purge --all
      Clear out everything that's not checked in (this
      includes untracked and ignored files). You may
      need to enable the purge extension,
      `hg --config extensions.purge= purge --all`
      And I would suggest checking the output of
      `hg purge --all -p` before you do it to make sure
      you're not obliterating anything you want to keep.
   hg up null && hg purge --all && hg up default
      Rebuild the repository from scratch (without a full clone).

[1] http://buildbot.python.org/all/waterfall?category=3.x.stable

--
Zach