[OT] Usage of U+00B6 PILCROW SIGN (was: generator slides review and Python doc (+/- text bug))

Jerry Hill malaclypse2 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 09:39:54 EST 2014

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 1:51 AM,  <wxjmfauth at gmail.com> wrote:
> I got it. If I'm visiting a page like this:
>
> http://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/index.html#the-python-tutorial
>
> 1) To read the page, I'm scrolling down.
> 2) When I have finished to read the page, I scroll up
> (or scroll back/up) to the top of the page until I see
> this "feature" and the title.
> 3) I click on this "feature".
> 4) The title, already visible, moves, let's say, "2cm" higher.
>
> ...?

Those links aren't for navigation.

They're so you can discover anchor links in the page and pass them to
someone else.  For instance, if I want to point someone to the section
of the tutorial that talks about reading and writing files, I could
just give them this link:
http://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/inputoutput.html#reading-and-writing-files,
instead of pointing them to the main page and instructing them to
scroll down until they see Section 7.2

I was able to discover that link by opening the page, highlighting the
section header with my mouse, then clicking the pilcrow.  That gives
me the anchor link to that section header.