Problems compiling Python 3.4 on Ubuntu

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 21:45:40 EST 2014

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just curious: How do you go "digging for stuff starting with 'z'" ?
>
> OR: How do you grep inside apt?
>
> I know "dpkg -S pattern"
>
> It helps to connect pattern with package
> But no good if pattern is common -- Other day I was struggling with
>
> dpkg -S which

dpkg --get-selections

will show all installed packages, in alphabetical order. Probably not useful.

dpkg --get-selections|grep -- '-dev'

will show all -dev packages, which IS useful. Except on a system that
I run, in which case you still need to eyeball roughly two hundred
installed packages :D Hence my failure to find the one I wanted.

ChrisA