[newbie] troubles with tuples

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 12:00:33 EST 2014

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 11:50 AM, Jean Dupont <jeandupont314 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking at the way to address tuples
> e.g.
> tup2 = (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 );
>
> As I found out indices start with 0 in Python, so
> tup2[0] gives me 1, the first element in the tuple as expected
> tup2[1] gives me 2, the second element in the tuple as expected
> now here comes what surprises me:
> tup2[0:1] does not give me the expected (1,2) but (2,)
>
> what is the reason for this and how then should one get the first and the second element of a tuple? Or the 3rd until the 5th?
>
> thanks in advance and kind regards,

Some examples:

a[start:end]  # items start through end-1
a[start:]       # items start through the rest of the array
a[:end]        # items from the beginning through end-1
a[:]             # a copy of the whole array
a[-1]           # last item in the array
a[-2:]          # last two items in the array
a[:-2]          # everything except the last two items

HTH,
-larry