[newbie] making rows of table with discrete values for different number systems

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Feb 2 13:07:38 EST 2014

In article <515e582f-ed17-4d4e-9872-f07f1fda6ed2 at googlegroups.com>,
 Jean Dupont <jeandupont314 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for an efficient method to produce rows of tables like this:
>
> for base 2
> 0 0 0 0
> 0 0 0 1
> 0 0 1 0
> 0 0 1 1
> 0 1 0 0
> .
> .
> .
> 1 1 1 1
>
> for base 3
> 0 0 0 0 0 0
> 0 0 0 0 0 1
> 0 0 0 0 0 2
> 0 0 0 0 1 0
> 0 0 0 0 1 1
> 0 0 0 0 1 2
> .
> .
> 2 2 2 2 2 2

This sounds like a homework problem :-)

> As you can see the rows are always twice the size of the base

Why?

> I _don't_ need to have all rows available together in one array which would
> become too large for higher value number bases. It's sufficient to produce
> one row after the other, as I will do further data manipulation on such a row
> immediately.

What I get out of that is that you don't want to just print them, you
want to have some function which returns all the generated rows in
order.  The way to do that is with the yield statement.  Take a look at
https://wiki.python.org/moin/Generators for some discussion on how that
works.  Actually, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/231767/
looks like an even better discussion.

Does that help you any?