Python 2.7 segfaults on 'import site'

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Mon Dec 29 13:58:32 EST 2014

Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 4:28 AM, Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote:
>> Maybe the interpreter itself is corrupted? Google suggests that debsums
>> may be the tool to find out.
>
> That's part of what I'm trying to track down, but why it should have
> changed in the past few days is beyond me. There's no way that
> rebuilding Python 3.5 should break Python 2.7 on the same system,
> right?

It will be easier to reason about that once we know what is broken ;)

> I haven't installed any Debian updates this week.
>
> Just tried debsums, and it isn't complaining about any corruption or
> damage.

OK. sre_constants.py looks pretty generic, the only module it imports (_sre)
is a built-in and the interpreter is known-good. If the modules imported
before sre_constants.py are known-good, too, and no other debian user sees
the same problem I'm out of realistic ideas.